Croque Madame Sandwich – A croque monsieur with a crown
The Croque Madame Sandwich is the ultimate indulgent breakfast Sandwich. It's the Micheal Jordan of sandwiches.
Have you got a favourite sandwich recipe which always puts a smile on your face? Well, there’s a sandwich out here that is going to blow your mind. It’s like a classic ham and cheese sandwich that came straight from heaven and landed on your plate. The Croque Madame Sandwich is a breakfast meal that you can have any time of day and when you are really hungry.
You didn’t think that the croque monsieur could get any better than this, could you? You can upgrade to the Croque Madame Sandwich by placing a soft yolk sunny-side-up egg on top like a golden crown. This recipe includes a very easy bechamel (white sauce) recipe which you use for the only condiment in the sandwich. Salami is added to the party with the ham for extra flavour and chilli flakes give this beauty a bit of a kick to finsih off the flavour profile.
The Croque Madame Sandwich is the ultimate indulgent breakfast Sandwich. It’s the Micheal Jordan of sandwiches.
Croque Madame Sandwich RecipesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
A warm breakfast sandwich that is easy to make and can look very impressive.
½ cup Milk (Preheated)
1/2 cup Grated Mozzarella
1 tbsp Flour
1 tbsp Butter
½ Spring Onion
Chilli Flakes (Optional)
1 slice Ham
1 slice Salami
1 large Cheese Roll (Hamburger Roll)
Chimichurri, Basil or Avocado for garnish
- Grate cheese, slice spring onion & basil.
- Preheat the grill
- In a small saucepan, on low-medium heat, melt down the butter.
- Add the flour and mix into a paste. Whisk continuously on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes to cook out the taste of the flour. You do not want the mix to turn brown as this will change the flavour.
- Add the milk 2 tablespoons at a time, whisking together into a silky paste before adding more milk. Repeat this until all the milk has been added. If you add the milk too quickly you will end up with a lumpy sauce. Bring this mixture to a boil, add salt and pepper to taste and immediately reduce the heat and cook for a further 3 minutes before setting aside for later.
- Cut your bread roll in half, add 2 tablespoons of your Bechamel (White Sauce) to the bottom half of the bread followed by your ham, salami, half of your spring onoins and half of your cheese.
- Replace the top half of the roll and place into a toasted sandwich machine. This will flatten your sandwich whilst browning the bread and adding some crunch. A preheated oven (200°C) will do a similar job.
- When the sandwich is desirably toasted (+- 4 minutes) move it to a baking tray.
- Pour the remaining bechamel, then mozzarella, then spring onions and chilli flakes over the top of the sandwich.
- Place into the middle of the oven (so that it does not burn the cheese) and allow to grill for 5-10 minutes, removing when the cheese is starting to brown and bubble.
- Whilst the sandwich is grilling fry your egg sunny side up or to your taste and set aside.
- Remove from the oven, place the egg on top of the sandwich and season with salt, pepper and your choice of chimichurri or fresh basil.
- Dig in!