Easy chicken salad: A quick dinner or weekday lunch salad
It's time for those healthy summer lunches. Our easy chicken salad is the perfect weekday meal, especially if you have roast chicken leftovers.
It’s heating up in South Africa and so becomes time for lighter foods that won’t weigh you down during summer activities. Salads are a taty way of getting all of your important daily nutrients for energy and healthy. Our easy chicken salad recipe has many of these nutrients and is great when you want an easy daily meal. If you have leftover chicken pieces, you’re mostly done cooking already.
More about your easy chicken salad
You can either poach your chicken, however, grilling adds more flavour and when you’ve got leftover roast chicken, it’s even better. The chicken provides extra-lean protein, especially if you remove the skins. The rest of the vegetables, of course, add vitamins and minerals that keep you healthy and energized. Swap the lettuce with spinach for more iron and calcium as chicken could be lacking in those areas.
It’s time for those healthy summer lunches. Our easy chicken salad is the perfect weekday meal, especially if you have roast chicken leftovers.
Easy chicken salad recipeCourse: MainCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
1 chicken, cooked
1 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs, boiled
red and green apple
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook chicken pieces with onions, bay leaf, peppercorns and parsley stalks until it is cooked.
- When cool, break the chicken up into bite-sized pieces. Add mayonnaise to chicken and prepare the remaining ingredients as follows.
- Chop radishes, slice celery, cut red apple with skin left on and green apple with skin left on into cubes.
- Peel the pineapple and remove core, then cut into small pieces. Cut green pepper into thin strips and the leek into rings. Break up the walnuts.
- Chop one boiled egg and add everything together.
- Decorate with the second boiled egg which is cut in neat slices.
- Serve on individual lettuce leaves for each person.
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Do you want to make more tasty salad recipes to enjoy with your friends and family? Have a look at our excellent recipe suggestions for you to try. There are many more old-school recipes like this one. They are published in the St. Andrews Preparatory School, Prep 100 Recipe Book.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.